UIAA Ice Climbing World Championships
WHAT: UIAA Ice Climbing World Championships and YEG Ice Fest
EDMONTON TO HOST UIAA ICE CLIMBING WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS AND YEG ICE FEST FEBRUARY 16 – 19 IN FAN PARK @ ICE DISTRICT
PUBLIC ICE WALL CLIMBING ACCESS STARTING IN DECEMBER
November 2, 2023 (Edmonton, AB) — The Alpine Club of Canada (ACC) and OEG Sports & Entertainment (OEGSE) announced today that the world of ice climbing is descending upon Edmonton’s ICE District as the city hosts the UIAA Ice Climbing World Championships and YEG Ice Fest from February 16 to 19, 2024. Edmonton is the ideal place for this international event with world-class outdoor climbing to be found just a few hours away in the Canadian Rocky Mountains.
This will be the first time the World Cup Finals will be hosted outside of Europe, and the second time a world cup event is held in Canada—with the last time being 22 years ago.
New Venue, New Heights and New Horizons
The event is set to make history with exciting updates and changes:
- Open for Public Climbing this Winter Season: The YEG ACC Ice Wall is anticipated to open to the public mid-December (weather permitting) with the exact date to be announced. Winter enthusiasts will have the opportunity to experience this thrilling adventure with no climbing experience required.
- A New Home: The YEG ACC Ice Wall is making its way to the heart of the city, specifically to the Fan Park @ ICE District. We extend our heartfelt gratitude to the Edmonton Ski Club for being our host the last three years, and we are thrilled to announce a new partnership with OEGSE.
- A New Structure: The climbing structure will be four times bigger and double the height of the previous structure at 18 metres tall, promising an even more exhilarating experience. In addition to the ice climbing offered in previous years, the YEG ACC Ice Wall will be introducing mixed climbing, offering climbers a new challenge.
The Championships & Festival
Prepare for a spectacular 4-day event, featuring:
- International Competition: The world’s best ice climbers will be coming to Edmonton for the UIAA Ice Climbing World Championships. They will compete in lead ice climbing and speed ice climbing, showcasing their exceptional skills and promising intense and thrilling action.
- Community Engagement: The event is not just for the pros! The public can participate in a community competition, attend clinics led by ice climbing experts, and experience gear demos.
- Festival Activities: Adults and children of all ages will have a fantastic time with a range of winter festival activities, live entertainment, local food and drinks, and a winter market.
We are always inspired and impressed by what a group of passionate volunteers can accomplish. This competition is being made possible by just that. Congratulations to the Edmonton Section for making this first time ever in Canada event happen.
- Tara McConnery, Services Director at the Alpine Club of Canada
“We’re excited to host the UIAA Ice Climbing World Championships and YEG Ice Fest in ICE District, offering a unique and unforgettable winter experience in Edmonton’s epicentre of entertainment. In just its first year of operation, we’ve already transformed Fan Park @ ICE District for Oilers watch parties, epic concerts, massive festivals, elite beach volleyball and basketball world championships, various community events, Oktoberfest, and we’re looking forward to transforming Fan Park once again for this unique winter experience in the heart of our city.”
- Stu Ballantyne, President and Chief Operating Officer, Rogers Place and ICE District.
“The UIAA is incredibly excited to bring the Ice Climbing World Championships to Canada for the first time and it is sure to be the highlight of the 2024 season. There is an incredible buzz among the athlete community at the news of the World Championships being in Edmonton in February and the atmosphere at the event in the city centre should be absolutely electric! We have been working very hard with the Alpine Club of Canada team in Edmonton to confirm this event and we look forward to putting plans in place to make this competition a great success”
- Rob Adie, UIAA Event Coordinator
” Edmonton is a proud winter city where citizens embrace the winter season with open arms. We are thrilled to welcome this exciting new international event in our downtown, and we look forward to showcasing our ability to find creative ways to remain active and vibrant year round.”
- Edmonton Mayor Amarjeet Sohi
“On behalf of Explore Edmonton, we are so excited to welcome the UIAA Ice Climbing World Championships to our city. As a community that embraces and celebrates our winters year after year, this event will serve as a perfect stage to show off all that Edmonton has to offer when temperatures drop, and snow begins to fly. We look forward to working alongside all partners to create an unforgettable experience for participants and spectators alike.”
- Janelle Janis – Executive Director, Event & Business Development, Explore Edmonton
Go to ICEDistrict.ca for more details and updates on the event.
The ACC would like to extend sincere thanks to its partners, including the UIAA, OEGSE, City of Edmonton, Explore Edmonton, and Offbeat Entertainment. The ACC remains open for sponsorships and partnerships to make this event even more extraordinary.
Photo Credits: Pete Hoang